Application for grant

Research and travel grant applications

Most grants are awarded to private persons and working groups, including full-year grants or partial funding for larger projects. Personal research grants can also be applied for by persons currently in an employment relationship related to research (e.g. doctoral candidates, temporarily employed post-docs or applicants involved in other research work). In this case the applicant must state their gross salary to which an additional remuneration is applied for. Personal grants are awarded for a maximum period of one year at a time, and their amounts will not exceed the amount corresponding to an artist grant per month. Grants will also be awarded for material and laboratory expenses or other research-related expenses. For multi-year projects, the material and equipment costs for a maximum period of one year will be stated on the application. No grants are awarded for printing costs and computer or equipment procurements.

Taxation legislation requires that the foundation issues a notice of paid grants, despite the fact that grants are tax-free up to amounts corresponding to state-issued artist grants (approximately 20 460 euros/year). Legally mandated MYEL insurance payments, totalling approximately 15 % of the working grant, are included in grants awarded for scientific work that lasts for at least four months.

All grants awarded by the foundation for a period of at least four months include university compensation, which amounts to approx. 1 600 euros per year (133 euros/month). The grant recipient is personally responsible for payment of the compensation after having signed a personal agreement with the university. If the grant recipient does not wish to agree on the preconditions of their research with the university, they may use the grant to arrange such research preconditions personally. This is intended to ensure that all post-graduate students who have received a grant have the same basic preconditions as salaried doctoral candidates and researchers working at similar tasks. The compensation is not a part of the grant and is not included in the calculations to determine the MYEL insurance payment.

Travel grants are given primarly for person participating in research congress and presenting an abstact or a poster.

Pursuant to the Foundations Act of 2015, all foundations must in their annual report specify any financial activities engaged in with their related parties. The Finnish Foundation of Veterinary Research requires all applicants to specify whether they are a related party to the foundation. The concept of related party is defined in instructions for grant applications.


Grant applications January 2019

In January 2019 25 000 euros will be awarded as travel grants. Travel grants are given to persons who participate in a scientific meeting and present there a presentation or a poster of their research. 


Grants are applied via electronic system.  The application is open during 14.1. - 10.2.2019.  If the applicant has not reported the previous grants received from the Finnish Foundation of Veterinary Research, new applications are not taken into consideration.